Learning From A Legend: Thoughts On Stephen King's "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft"


Over the last whirlwind of 10 weeks, I’ve had the privilege to read the work of one of America’s best authors, Stephen King. Which book of his was I consuming you ask? His memoirs on the art and pastime he’s dedicated his profession and livelihood on, “On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft.”

In all honesty, I wasn’t looking forward to reading this book.

Stephen King, while highly regarded and esteemed, isn’t my first pick of an author when I’m looking for something to read.

I don’t much care for the spooks and thrills he’s gained his fame from, so to say I was hesitant to read his memoir is an understatement.

From the opening pages, I was enthralled with this book.

King breaks down the art of writing in extremely intuitive and easy-to-understand ways. Not only does he openly discuss the skills and techniques needed to improve at the craft of writing, he also openly discusses his life and all that it contains.

Some of the most meaningful and heartfelt moments of the book are those in which he’s talking about the trials and tribulations he’s faced during his eventful life.

King openly talks about his childhood (including all the mischievous parts) and family. He speaks about his struggles with alcohol and drug abuse. King even talks in length about his horrific accident and the struggles he had after it, in graphic detail.

All of these candid aspects really help to give credence to King’s advice and tips for the art of writing. Each anecdote makes King more relatable than the last. It all builds to make this legend of an author, a master at the art he’s describing, seem as normal as me or you. It makes his advice more grounded and approachable.

The way in which King discussed the ins and outs of writing greatly resonated with me.

The section titled “toolbox” is 26 pages of in-depth guidelines and standards. This section highlights three rules I now hold near and dear to me anytime I sit down in front of my dual monitors and start poking away at my mechanical keyboard.

When writing, have narration that moves the story along, smoothly and evenly and doesn’t distract the reader from other important aspects of the writing.

My descriptions throughout must create enough sensory for my readers that they understand what I’m referencing without going into too much depth to distract from the overall story, a skill I need to greatly improve upon in my eyes.

Finally, when using dialogue, make the speech reflect real-life while also using it to bring each character to life with their words.

This section of King’s memoir has the most tangible advice, to me, of any throughout the book. It’s here where I learned to avoid passive verbs like young children avoid vegetables at dinner. It’s also where one of my favorite quotes of the book takes place. King writes “I think timid writers like them [passive verbs] for the same reason timid lovers like passive partners. The passive voice is safe.”

King has these types of quotable moments throughout the book.

While I was hesitant to get started on this book, it quickly became one of my favorite books I’ve ever flipped through. Not only is it full of amazing tips and tricks or best practices for writing, it’s also chock-full of sound life advice as well.

When we talk about books designed to improve and grow one’s talents at writing, few could really compare with what King has created with this masterclass on the craft.

I’m grateful I purchased this book as it’s one I plan on revisiting many times in the future.


On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
Author: Stephen King
Summary: The author’s life and times, and how those influenced his writing.
Publisher: Scribner
Pages: 288
Price: $12.95
Platforms: Hardcover / Paperback / eBook / Audiobook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postcard From The Future: Walking Through The Magic Of Disneyland

10 Questions with the LBCC Foundation's Linnea Everts

Joining My Flock